Astonishing eco-facts and the little things
we can do for our planet:
- If every household replaced just three 60-watt incandescent bulbs with CF
bulbs, the pollution savings would be like taking 3.5 million cars off the
road. (from Environmental Defense Fund) Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- A nationwide report shows that plastic water bottles create 2 million tons
of trash in our landfills. (from North Country Times) Drink tap water or
refill reusable containers.
- Each year across the world some 500 billion plastic bags are used, and only
a tiny fraction of them are recycled. (from AlterNet) They kill more than 100,000
marine mammals a year, including sea turtles, which mistake them for jellyfish.
(from BBC) Take reusable bags to supermarket.
- If every household in the United States replaced just one box of virgin fiber
facial tissues (175 sheets) with 100% recycled ones, we could save 163,000 trees.
(from Natural Resources Defense Council) Use paper products (toilet
paper, facial tissues, paper towels) made from paper, not from trees.
- Each year Americans throw away 84,000 tons of alkaline batteries. Batteries
make up 20% of household hazardous waste in landfills. (from Ecology Action
Center) Use rechargeable batteries.